Game Developers of UNT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year

+68
SpeedRacerBen
iJordan
Sabz
PurpleHeartKon
Redstar
sfj07
Mechalon
lovebug
Cdore
Sonus
VocanyPitia
BrailleOperatic
mr.elmore
Beavis
Frijebai
BrenGamer
Sarafu
DianeRobson
Kazcampbell
NonAvailable
SamuelLeffingwell
kiblade
Axyl
RTannerB
Coding_with_ice_in_hands
Kim
iamkyrsten
Jawnnypoo
wrightredhead
Core
JRolls89
Teufelhund86
TheHuyurugu
Piola
Jonathan
Syrant
Elite Yoshi
Ginger
Jake
Duke of Spoot
Kilgorn
nintendude794
WACLAY
evanafter
TallonRain
john.k.h.vo
Zephindabius
Dariel00
TheWritingWriter
Erin
thasric
sambo
rodre1
Culver
TzarinaRegina
Tyler Watson
amatobahn
Kevin
kidofthefence
ambidextrous
Mat
Jeff
Break Man
Shadowfire
Threepwood42
IAmSerge
Pugovitz
TheShadowMaster
72 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year

Post  TheShadowMaster Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:54 pm

Welcome to Game Developers of UNT!

To get started on this forum, introduce yourself to the community here. Some information you might include would be your name, your major, your area of interest in game development, and your favorite types of games. You might also include any past experience you have in your area of interest.

We are very excited about this new venture and hope to see all of you at our future meetings.

~Shadow Master

Update: We'd like it if everyone's avatar was actually a picture of themselves, it would certainly help everyone get to know each other better. (credit: Break Man)

Last edited by TheShadowMaster on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheShadowMaster
TheShadowMaster

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Teh President

Post  Pugovitz Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi, I'm PJ Durnin; I started this club, with a little help from my friends. I'm a Computer Science major, currently a Sophomore.

I'm interested in all areas of making games. I'm good at math and can't draw, so I majored in Computer Science. I'm just as interested in the creative side as the technical side of games. I like pretty much every type of game, too. Though I'm very out of practice with racing and fighting games. Being a broke college student, when I buy a game I want it to last a loooooong time, so I've been getting a lot of RPGs lately.

I want this club to kick ass. I'd love it if everyone gets together with like minded nerds and make some awesome games. Have fun and game on...
Pugovitz
Pugovitz

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Gentlemen.

Post  IAmSerge Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:39 pm

I, Am Serge.

Nice to meet you.

~Serge~
IAmSerge
IAmSerge

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty All my base are belong to me.

Post  Threepwood42 Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Hello all, I'm Stephen Sanders, a freshman computer science major/Theater minor. While I'm a computer science major I'm actually more interested in story design and writing scripts for games as well as voice acting for them. I'm really excited about this club and starting to actually make things, I prefer story based games to anything else(Adventure games are my favorites, Grim Fandango being my favorite game of all time).
Threepwood42
Threepwood42

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Re: Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year

Post  Shadowfire Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey my name is Andi. Im a freshman majoring in computer science. If I'm not studying I am playing video games and I think it's stupid how people think girls can't be gamers. Atm all I play is Minecraft and WOW but I like a variety of games.

Right now I have very limited programming skills which include java basics. I wanna help out wherever I can and have a little skill in creative writing. For me this club is a mix of fun and a chance to learn.

Shadowfire

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Re: Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year

Post  Break Man Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:06 pm

@Andi: You're a girl? Sweet. I mean, uh... Right, introductions!

The name's Will Clark, though Break Man or just Breakers works in a pinch. Friend of mine gave that last one to me, thought Break Man was too complicated. Anyway, I'm a history major (read: he can write), I still have a year and a half to go with university work, and I am very interested in the creative aspects of video game design. Preferably, I'd like to come on as a script and story writer, and even help out with some of the visual aspects, as well as voices. I've done a few of those in my time. Ask me about Gollum.

In my spare time, I read (a LOT), write (not so much), play bass and sing (lurve mah muzaks), and I like to hang out, so don't be afraid to hit me up for a drink or anything if you just want to hang out. I'm up for anything, just as long as it doesn't involve cacti. One Cactus Dildo Surprise is enough for me, thank you very much.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm also good for a laugh. Just sayin'.
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm Jeff, and I'm a freshman "pre" Computer Science major. I need to catch up on Math before I can start the CS pipeline. I served as an Infantryman in the U.S. Army for 5 years before coming to UNT, so I'm a bit rusty with school. I'm doing well so far, though.

I enjoy all types of games, and I try to regularly play a variety of genres to "stay current" and remain in touch with the present state of the industry. What this really means is that I buy way too many games and have a stupid-long backlog that I'll never actually get through (first world problems, fuck yeah). I'm currently playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the beta for Star Wars: The Old Republic. Gears 3 should be here tomorrow so I'll try out as well. Schoolwork has been heavy so I don't get to play as much as I'd like, but hopefully that'll change as I get my feet under me.

I don't currently possess any technical skills to offer the group, so I'm really here to get experience and soak up as much as I can. I try read any information I can find on game design and breaking in to the industry. I'd one day like to work as a level designer/scripter and eventually as a game designer/general creative type. I'm not terribly interested in programming, but Computer Science seems to be the preferred method for getting in to what I'd like to get in to. I'm anxious to get started.

- Jeff
Jeff
Jeff

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Introduction

Post  Mat Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Hey, my name is Mat Toellner. I am a junior in Drawing and Painting, and I am minoring in business. I like majority of games, favoring RPGs.

I am mainly interested in doing concept art for games, but I have dabbled in modeling and texturing. I have done some minor modding on a variety of PC games, mainly with meshes/textures... and I have no idea how to code. And I have to boast, I was a semi-finalist for the "design many robots" concept art contest held earlier this year by the creators of a game coming out soon called Shoot Many Robots.

I would like to get some experience out of this club, and I would love to be able to put something on my resume about working on games, since most companies want to see experience. But having fun is also a big part of it, I look forward to working with the rest of you guys.

Mat
Mat

Back to top Go down

Post  ambidextrous Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi,

I am Ravi, a grad student majoring in Computer Science. My dissertation is in Natural Language Processing, which has to do with Artificial Intelligence, from a language perspective. I am personally interested in a lot of other things too, and have interest/ experience coding in a variety of languages and paradigms, some of them being Python, C++, C, Haskell, and Java, on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X platforms. I also have experience in C#/ .NET from my summer internship over in Redmond at Microsoft. In general I am interested in enhancing my coding and algorithmic skills. I also own an XBox 360 and Kinect (free presents from my internship) which I think would find good use for projects with the game development team.

Cheers!
ambidextrous
ambidextrous

http://students.csci.unt.edu/~rss0089

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Brownie Points if you know where the name's from

Post  kidofthefence Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:19 pm

So - lets get this out of the way I guess.

I am....JOSH!!!!!
SHOW ME YA MOVES!

Nono, im Josh, a psuedo-junior (freshman kids: Go to class. Don't sleep in. Trust me on this.) and floating through the computer science/college of engineering with the intention of taking programming courses in the future. However, what I like doing most is character modeling and animations (facial animations? No. Run cycles? Jump? Punch? etc? yes. Facial Morph set-up is tricky for me atm but the other stuff is simple. Weird, ne?) and concept art as well as searching through my strange mind for ideas on characters/storylines(great since ive written a few short stories in my time)/plot stuff/etc....

From this group? I just wanna have fun with it and see what can come from it.
kidofthefence
kidofthefence

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Introductions

Post  Kevin Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Hello, I am Kevin Holmes. I'm a Computer Science senior, and I have experience in Java, C++, Perl, and Python, although I can use any other language given a few days to learn it. I'm not as interested in designing games; I just want to implement others' ideas.
Kevin
Kevin

Back to top Go down

Post  amatobahn Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi.

I'm Greg Amato. I a Comm Design major, but my main skills are in 3d modeling and animation. I have worked in and out of the industry as a freelance artist for about 3-ish years working on both mobile and next-gen games. I am fluent in numerous applications. I work using OSX, but I am able to work on any windows app as well, given its not something that breaks, for instance the windows OS itself (JUST AN EXAMPLE).

I also do concept art, texture art, art-art, coding in javascript or C#. If you'd like, you can check out my website:

MY SITE

OR

my little side project, Eight Bit Strange:

8BS

Anyways, I think that's about it. There's other places you may find me, whether it be polycount's forums, animationforum.net, cgsociety.org, etc.

Looking forward to working with everyone.
amatobahn
amatobahn

Http://www.iamgregamato.com

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Musician Here.

Post  Tyler Watson Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Hey guys, my name's Tyler

I'm a senior here studying Music Composition, but I also just decided to double major in Computer Engineering earlier this year (to make sure I have a decent job when I graduate). I'll probably be here until Spring of 2014 finishing up that second Bachelor's. I'm in the beginning computer science course, learning C, so I won't be of much use coding-wise for a long time.

But, I can write music. I love to play video games in my "spare" time. I've been playing Starcraft for years, and lately have been addicted to League of Legends. I'm also a huge fan of Mass Effect, and Zelda. The music from the Zelda games (Ocarina of Time specifically) was actually what got me interested in majoring in music. I've also always loved music from the Final Fantasy series.

Everything that I've composed recently has just been for school, so it's all just music for the sake of music, instead of having an agenda in mind (like accompanying a video game). But, if any of you have any kind of requests at all for background music, let me know asap. Just come to me with any or all of the following:

A general aesthetic you'd like
Instruments/groups you'd like to hear
The mood you're trying to create
Anything else you can think of.

I'm also currently taking a course in electronic music, in which I'm going to learn some ways to make sound effects, so if anyone has specific requests as far as sound effects go, I can see what I can do in that area as well.

I'm really looking forward to contributing in whatever way I can; I'd love to have my music be in awesome video games some day.

Tyler Watson
Tyler Watson

Back to top Go down

Post  TzarinaRegina Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Hello there,
My name is Elizabeth, and I'm an English and Art major. Hands down my favorite games are action/adventure, like the amazing "Shadow of the Colossus". I'm new to game development but I'd like to contribute if I can. Basically I want to learn more about the field, in particular about how art/drawing fits into it all, and have some fun meeting other people interested in game design.
-TzarinaRegina
TzarinaRegina
TzarinaRegina

Back to top Go down

Post  Culver Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 am

Hey there everyone my names Jesse Culver and I'm a Freshmen majoring in computer science.

I'm quite knowledgeable of the Source Engine, especially hammer and have been working with it since I bought Portal around four years back. I haven't really published much of my work seeing as I get close to finishing and then get distracted with another project... Anyway I have basic coding experience in Lua, Java, and squirrel. I have a decent understanding of how to make gamemodes for Garrysmod and am currently in the process of making a mini mod for L4D2 with my roommate (we hope to have some non developer textured screenshots soon).

So if your thinking about using the Source Engine and have questions about its limitations or what it's good at throw them my way and I'll try and answer them to the best of my ability Very Happy

Culver

Back to top Go down

Post  rodre1 Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 am

Hi, my name is Erick Rodriguez and I'm a freshman double majoring in finance and entrepreneurship and then going back to major in music composition and drawing and painting. I was originally going to major in eletrical engineering but I was also going to major in finance and then go back like I mentioned but I realised that that would take me like 6 years and then an exrta 4 years. My plan was just to major in something while at college and then go back to major in music and drawing for games. I decided to have a major business so I can support myself while trying to get a job in games. My ideal job in gaming is to produce and create games, not physically but coming up with the idea, story, genre, etc. and drawing the characters myself and making the music myself so I can create the world that I want to for the game. But anyway yeah I have no skills in music or drawing yet but I will try to learn if some of you guys can offer.

rodre1

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Intro

Post  sambo Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:51 am

Hello I'm Samuel Skidmore.

I'm a graduate student in computer science with a bachelor's degree in math and a minor creative writing. I have experience with C++, but I haven't taken any game programing classes. I have some experience with tools like game creator and game salad as well.

My hoping to get a project that is in the process of pre-production (In other words fancy scribbles and various notes). This project is a iphone/android game that can be made within the school year. The concept is a plat-former with a fun mechanic, I'll go into that in another thread. I have some friends who may help with music/art (mostly music probably). I'm looking for artist and people with experience with game engines (at the very least I could use some advice).

I'm hoping to focus on mechanics/level design, storyboard, and helping out with programming and planing. Although in all these areas (in particular the story, its kinda up in the air) I would also hope to get feedback and suggestions from others working on this project with me.
sambo
sambo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty The girl with the laptop

Post  thasric Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi, my name is Christa.

I'm a computer science major, currently in Game Programming 1. I don't have as much experience as I would like, but I'm comfortable with C++ and I enjoy programming. I would also like to get into 3D Modelling and maybe a little bit of story writing.

I'm hoping that this club will give me some good experience and a more solid idea about what it's like to create a game with a group of people. That said, I'm mostly in it for fun, and I look forward to seeing the progress that all of you make as the year goes on.
thasric
thasric

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Erin Graham. I am a freshman majoring in English. I have no game making experience, but would like to learn everything that I can. I really like to write so I would love to help develop plot lines for any game. So I guess my one skill would be creative writing. But like I said I would like to learn as much as can about all areas of game making.

I play pretty much any game I can get my hands on, but usually stick to Action/Adventure games. I'm not a fan of standard shooters, I prefer story lines the more in-depth the better! I'm also into flash games because let's be honest there are some amazing ones out there.

And yes, I am a girl.

Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWritingWriter Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:36 pm

Hey thar, I'm James aka The Writing Writer (those who know Coheed and Cambria, yes I stole it from them)

As my nom de plume would suggest I'm a writer by trade and that's about all I can do. I tried my hand at drawing, not that great but I did get to know Photoshop fairly well. Still, I'd like to help out with anything that I can.

I'm really excited about this club. We've got a lot of people from a lot of different backgrounds which means we've got the potential to make some great games.

Alonzi!
TheWritingWriter
TheWritingWriter

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty A Filmmaker gone Gamemaker

Post  Dariel00 Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Dariel Hernandez here, nice to meet everyone. Very Happy

I'm stoked to start working on any aspect of the game making process! I'm a Film and Computer Science double major. Most of my skill-set leans towards plot, screenwriting, scene and camera direction, storyboarding, some audio recording & music, and voice acting if need be. I'm just starting my programming classes so I'm still very new to coding and modding but I'd love to get some chops working with some of the more experienced programmers and level designers.

I enjoy most game genres, but I have a penchant for story driven games. Anything from Action/Adventure, to tactical RPGs, to puzzle games; as long as there is an interesting story to be told through the narrative, the art, and the gameplay. Personal favorites of mine include Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, Portal, the Final Fantasy and Shin Megami series, and Grand Theft Auto.

Can't wait to have start having fun with you guys and create something wonderful. (or gruesome, as long as it gets the emotions churning) Wink

Here's my small youtube channel
I only have a film from highschool uploaded on there but it's something.

Personal Facebook

PS: I'm also in a Progressive Metal Band so let me know if you need some abrasive or chaotic noisy music.
Carrion Wyrm

Last edited by Dariel00 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dariel00
Dariel00

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty How do i intro

Post  Zephindabius Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi, I'm Zack and I'm a music history senior.

I am anxious to meet more people looking into video game design, and hopefully get a project running. My skill as a programmer is next to zero; but I have worked on a few games before, writing music and storyboarding. I'm also interested in learning from the other music-makers on styles and programs.

I play a lot of RPG's and fighting games- I am also very partial to the feel of the older games in either genre. The games with solid storylines (even fighting games), I feel, are likely the most immersive and entertaining, but the simpler arcade-style games (i.e. Tetris, Galaga) have a certain charm to them as well. I also play a lot of tabletop RPG's, so I'm quite picky about believeable dialogue in games as well.

As I stated before, I would love to jump on some story/character design work, or write some music for games. I'm looking forward to throwing/reading ideas that come up.

Zephindabius
Zephindabius

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Animation/Modeler

Post  john.k.h.vo Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm

My name is John Vo I am majoring in New Media Art. I specialize in art and design and have experience in 3d and 2d modeling. The programs I'm most familiar with are Photoshop, Flash, Maya, and alittle bit of editing software such as final cut pro. I'm just now trying to expand to the free software such as blender and zbrush. I like to play strategy games along with rpgs and shooters. anything artistically appealing is always nice but game play is a must for me which is why i like to work with both 3d and 2d. i have worked on 2d games out of flash and gamemaker and i have also designed pieces from maya in both 3d and 2d and created short films in both dimensions. Other than that I have a strong painting and comic print background. I really like the big project idea that was thrown around in the first meeting but realize how unrealistic that is and will work for anyone willing to shovel out as much work they are asking for.

Last edited by john.k.h.vo on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

john.k.h.vo

https://www.facebook.com/john.k.h.v

Back to top Go down

Introductions: 2011 - 2012 Academic Year Empty Somewhat crazy dude in red hoodie

Post  TallonRain Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Hello! I'm Kyle, a freshman majoring in computer science. I'm yet another avid gamer here. I'm probably the biggest Metroid fan you'll ever meet. I'm also a huge fan of Pokémon, Mass Effect, Zelda, Halo, and Pokémon. =P

I'm working to learn Objective-C and I have some basic experience with Java. Although I'm not much of a programmer at all as of now, I'm dying to learn and master the C family, Obj. C in particular. I also have some storywriting skills, but nothing too impressive.

I hope to have some fun and good experiences in the group. I'm looking forward to working with everyone. Smile

Last edited by TallonRain on Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
TallonRain
TallonRain

Back to top Go down

Post  evanafter Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Sup?

I'm Dru and I'm an Int'l Studies/French dual major.

I love video games - particularly first person RPGs ( like Oblivion and zomg skyrim - can't wait!! ) and "retro" arcade games. I will kick your ass at pacman. Unless you're crazy good.

I have some experience as a voice actress and I would love to lend my vox to any projects that need sultry or surly or suave or savvy females. Or really femme sounding gay guys. I'm really good at that too. And the pew pews. I'm a woman of many talents.

Edit: all this "ooh, you're a girl?!" bs needs to stop. I've been gaming my whole life and I've also been female my whole life. It's just how we roll.

evanafter

http://talesfromtheasteroid.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next