Game Developers of UNT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Game Voter's Network

5 posters

Go down

Video Game Voter's Network Empty Video Game Voter's Network

Post  iamkyrsten Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:27 pm

http://videogamevoters.org/

This is an organization dedicated to keeping video games as free speech. They are fighting for our rights and you should become a member! Right now they are looking for ambassador's to speak out at their colleges or something.

If you are interested definitely give it a look!
iamkyrsten
iamkyrsten

Back to top Go down

Video Game Voter's Network Empty Re: Video Game Voter's Network

Post  Pugovitz Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:05 pm

I love these guys; I actually signed up as an ambassador to the program. I was gonna spam the board with invites that would make me official or something.
Pugovitz
Pugovitz

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Umm... you guys do realize SCOTUS upheld game free speech with their decision in Brown vs. Entertainment Merchants Association, right (link is to the majority opinion on that decision)?
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  iamkyrsten Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:26 pm

Yeah the website says that the supreme court upheld that video games are protected, but the organization has been around for a while and are working to make sure video games stay protected.

I saw it when I read an article in Game Informer. It was so fascinating. I thought I'd share it!
iamkyrsten
iamkyrsten

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:13 am

A SCOTUS decision is pretty hard to overturn (especially one with the majority opinion written by Justice Scalia), but okay. Whatever floats their boat.
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  iamkyrsten Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:57 am

What I am saying is that they have been in operation before that decision was made. It doesn't really matter. I just thought I'd share something.
iamkyrsten
iamkyrsten

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke of Spoot Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:38 am

We still need to be ready. Sure, the SCOTUS decision was a big one (and 7-2 at that), but California Lawmakers said they were going to immediately begin working on a law that fits the constitutionality of the decision.

This danger is also the boon of democracy; To argue within constitutionality requires only the will to do so. We need every voter to show that the majority defends First Amendment protections in the ballot box, especially voters as intelligent and well-read as the esteemed Break Man.
Duke of Spoot
Duke of Spoot

http://travistcurry.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechalon Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:20 am

The problem with this victory was that some of those who said it was unconstitutional was not because they believed video games to be protected speech, but believed the law to be too vague. Meaning a more concise law could be made and get passed and allowed by the Supreme Court. If they all agreed that it's because video games were protected speech, this wouldn't be as big of an issue.

However, the Supreme Court can and has in the past ruled against itself. The Supreme Court ruled that "separate but equal" was both constitutional (Plessy v. Ferguson) and unconstitutional (Brown v. Board of Education). The reason states like Mississippi try to get their anti-abortion laws passed is so that they can take it to the Supreme Court and have the Supreme Court strike down Roe vs. Wade, which under the current conservative court, would probably do so in a 5-4 split decision.

So, while the ESA won that one, there is plenty of room for the state of California to try again wasting more tax payer dollars in an already broke state, but potentially winning.
Mechalon
Mechalon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down