Game Developers of UNT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2d platformer

4 posters

Go down

2d platformer Empty 2d platformer

Post  Ginger Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:08 pm

My brother and I had discussed this so I just thought I'd throw it out there.

So, the game is inspired by "Eden" by pixeljunk. I'd love it to have that same graphic quality and awesome music. I want the game to have more strategy to it though. The platforms I think you'd still have to collect something maybe to before you can open them, but they'd have some sort of affect on your character. I've thought about an environmental/elemental change - like heat/sun so you can't stay on the platform as long or heavy/light gravity, something. Or possibly an evolutionary change to your character so you could only access certain areas if you fit the requirements - making it more puzzle based. My brother and I also discussed including enemies. Something that would take a game we like and step it up a bit.

haha it's not super well thought-out. We were just tossing around ideas and it seems like it would be a simple enough game to make that would still be interesting and fun. So there's that if anyone is interested.

Ginger
Ginger

Back to top Go down

2d platformer Empty Re: 2d platformer

Post  Break Man Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:07 pm

For those of us who are old-school gamers, or had their current-gen systems taken away from them, or both, I think you're going to have to elaborate for us (namely, me).
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:20 pm

sorry ok so eden. You're this little grimp and you're trying to collect "spectras". In order to do that though you have to collect pollen which fills seed pods which open new platforms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daJ_mfbnhSQ
Ginger
Ginger

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Okay, I get the gist now. It sounds interesting, but it seems like a lot needs to be hammered out before it goes underway.
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:20 am

I had an idea for a game a few years ago involving a platformer where you play as an insect at the bottom of big hole (of some sort) and in order to get out, you grow trees in which the leaves work as platforms. I couldn't come up with much more than that, so it was kind of boring.
The radial level design of Eden is a really cool idea though, and keeps it dynamic and alive. I like their partially procedurally generated graphics too (fractals ftw!), it would be interesting to make something like this.

Hopefully I stirred up some ideas/creative juices in your head or something. If not, then... hi (awkward silence)
Jake
Jake

Back to top Go down

Post  Dariel00 Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 am

I really like the art and music of Eden (the presentation and polish in general). It doesn't seem like it would be much of a story driven game so I don't have much else to offer. I'd like to practice with some more experience level designers on this project, maybe even try my hand at some music for it too if you'll accept a sophomore effort.
Dariel00
Dariel00

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Again, I was just totally throwing this out there.
Originally, I was running with this because I'm... not a writer.. at all. I wanted to make a game and thought this would be more feasible for me to do on my own. Unfortunately I was really busy all summer and just thinking about it... instead of planning haha... anything... but coincidentally we now have a game making club.

So yea I mean if anyone seriously wants to pursue making this I'm totally open to whatever.

Jake your idea sounds cool. Like it would really ground the idea give some kind of base. I've also thought it would be interesting to do a game where you start with like a limited light source? So you could be like at the bottom of the hole and collect something or other.. or just move about to have to be able to find your way out? maybe? I don't know
Ginger
Ginger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum