Game Developers of UNT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system)

+7
Dariel00
Pugovitz
Kevin
kidofthefence
Mat
Threepwood42
Break Man
11 posters

Go down

RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system) Empty RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system)

Post  Break Man Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:17 pm

Okay, so I've been kicking around an idea for a pen 'n' paper RPG for some time now, but since I have this wonderful new outlet, I figured it might just translate well into video game form, with a few tweaks. Set in its own world, with its own systems, and try not to make it seem like a high fantasy, swords & sorcery, or some other ill-conceived cliche we've seen so many times before. I've got a few ideas for it, but essentially the premise is to follow the story of a necromancer.

Yes, a necromancer. Oh, don't give me that look.

We're oftentimes given to believe that they're the bad guys, that they're evil, that they want to take over the world with their evil undead schemes, but what if one of them were the good guys? How would that turn out? How would having powers to create the undead work on someone who is, on the whole, good? This is what I want to explore. I may be taking a few cues here and there from other sources (oddly enough, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a huge influence on this), but for the most part, I want it to be something to be admired as its own stand-alone story.

So, any suggestions? Comments? Someone want to be on the team? I'm an old-school gamer, and I still remember how moved to tears I was by Locke's back story in Final Fantasy III, so I'm not adverse to yummy 16-bit sprite graphics. I say, bring it on.
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system) Empty Re: RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system)

Post  Threepwood42 Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:35 pm

I feel like the classic RPG Planescape: Torment touched on a similar idea, I haven't played it so I don't know, but I remember reading something about it. Might be something to look at.
Threepwood42
Threepwood42

Back to top Go down

RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system) Empty Re: RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system)

Post  Mat Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Well whenever I hear necromancer I immediately think back to Diablo2. Given the plot of the game one could argue that the character was a 'good guy' but not much backstory was given on the class. Besides that, in a lot of stories necromancers seem to start out with good intentions (reviving a dead lover/family member) but quickly succumb to the slippery slope. I don't know if that is helpful in any way, but I am throwing it out there.
Mat
Mat

Back to top Go down

Post  kidofthefence Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:26 pm

what are you looking for with this? ideas on how the story could go? or how it would play out? O.o

kidofthefence
kidofthefence

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:07 am

For right now, I'm trying to find anyone who's willing to take on the challenge (this one will take a while, if I have my druthers about it), as well as ways for me to keep this from being as cliche as everything else out there. I'm looking for something original, not something as overused and overdone as, say, the idea that there have to be elves and dwarves, or that there have to be fighters, white mages, etc. And no, it's not something as basic as calling the fighter a "barbarian".

Also, while I realize the whole open-ended scheme is the most popular out there, this is going to be story-driven. Of course, being an RPG, there would be sidequests, extra awesome items of awesome, optional bosses, and the rest, but I want something that's not as complicated as, say, the Final Fantasy series of late (those damn License Boards...), or a Bioware game. I want to hearken back to the old days of JRPGs, where you could make a game simple but so intriguing, so interesting, such a roller coaster of emotions, that you couldn't put it down because you're so invested in the characters, the setting, and the story.

And, ultimately, I really want this to be a story that shows balance working in action. Too often, we're dogged by developers that try the whole morality system in games. Sometimes it works (Bioshock), other times it's decent (Infamous), other times, you're scratching your head at what the hell's going on. I want to show that, despite being billed as "evil", or having powers that might screw with your head, one can perform great feats of good without succumbing. A balance, as it were. Sure, it might be a bit heady for most players out there, but I think the ones who get it will be pleased.

But for right now, I desire your interest. Your interest greatly interests me. Yesss...
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:43 am

I'm interested; although I'm afraid I won't be much help with the storyline. I can code for it in my spare time though.
Kevin
Kevin

Back to top Go down

RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system) Empty The lighthearted side of necromancy

Post  Pugovitz Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:37 am

When I was younger I tried drawing a comic about a young, girl necromancer. She was blond and wore a white/flowery dress. It was a world where necromancy was this dark, ugly thing, but she was sweet and had a natural ability to revive things. One of the few panels I drew of it was her laughing at goths for being so morbid about it. It never panned out because apparently I'm awful at drawing.

Oh right, video games... This sounds like an interesting story; I'd like to see what comes of this. An old-school 2D style would definitely be easier to make with out limited resources than a more detailed 3D game.
Pugovitz
Pugovitz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dariel00 Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm interested to help with the writing, rpg mechanics, and level design. I'm actually working on a tabletop rpg with a friend of mine so I think I can help bring some ideas to the table(top).
Dariel00
Dariel00

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:43 pm

In terms of the over-all story, don't worry about that; this has been my story to tell. Now, in terms of writing, I am going to need some help. I am trying to develop Tarantino's sense of scene, but alas, I am faltering in that aspect.

As far as programming and mechanics go, that's where I'm going to need the most help.
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Zephindabius Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Ive toyed with this idea in D&D quite a bit.

In many Eastern philosophies, the goal of the soul in afterlife is to become one with an all-powerful embodiment of existence (think the Lifestream from FF7). A necromancer could adopt this idea into one of not manipulating this force, but rather becoming an extension of it; providing the "living" inhabitants of a glimpse of the world beyond. After all, there is no difference between what is "living" and "dead", as the same energies run through everything that exists. Therefore, the necromancer would not believe that they are imposing their will on the universe, but rather that they are only a part of it, doing its work.

Now the question that you are likely thinking about is, "Isn't that the same thing as a Big Bad Evil Guy (BBEG) serving a dark master?"

The difference lies in how much they pay attention to the ACTUAL will of the universe, in the sense of what people around them want, what the spirits beyond want, etc. In FF7, it was fairly clear that the people of the planet did not want to be destroyed by a meteor, so Sephiroth wasn't really attentive to what the Lifestream wanted. (Not to mention that the lifestream itself energized to stop it.) A necromancer that speaks to people and spirits and assists them using that energy, would therefore be not "evil"

Is that along the lines of what you were thinking?
Zephindabius
Zephindabius

Back to top Go down

Post  Dariel00 Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:15 pm

I'll brush up on my Tarantino films this next week then. Cool

I don't have much programming knowledge to offer, but I do know how to go under the hood on RPGs a decent amount.

Were you thinking turn based, real time, or action/RPG?

Ive toyed with this idea in D&D quite a bit.

In many Eastern philosophies, the goal of the soul in afterlife is to become one with an all-powerful embodiment of existence (think the Lifestream from FF7). A necromancer could adopt this idea into one of not manipulating this force, but rather becoming an extension of it; providing the "living" inhabitants of a glimpse of the world beyond. After all, there is no difference between what is "living" and "dead", as the same energies run through everything that exists. Therefore, the necromancer would not believe that they are imposing their will on the universe, but rather that they are only a part of it, doing its work.

D&D players represent! That's a very interesting take on Necromancy, I dig it.
Dariel00
Dariel00

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm

I want to stray away from that kind of philosophy. Instead, where it comes to the balance issue, there's an old vein that weaves its way through early religions about the necessity of balance. Balance between others, balance of self, even the balance of power. The yin-yang is the most obvious example, but I can also draw influence from my own personal belief with the relationship between Odin and Loki, one being the God of Order, the other being the God of Chaos (in layman's terms), but still blood-brothers by oath. This is something lost, I think, in Western society today, in the whole good vs. evil argument.

For the necromancy itself, the principles haven't been established yet as to how it works, but I have a feel for the societal aspects. The Gods are dead. All of them. Wiped out in a war on their plane, and unable to loan their adherents power, making any sort of cleric useless. Thus, religious adherents still go about with their duties as believers, but they do not hear the call of their Gods. No real healers, other than apothecaries and doctors. No one to resurrect anyone who had fallen too soon, which was a primary source of income for the churches.

Which means, if anyone wants to get in touch with the dead, even for a moment, they have to turn to necromancers, who are still seen as "blackguards", named as such for the black robes they usually wear and for the secretive, guarded nature they normally have. You might find one skulking around a graveyard, and the "blackguards", usually one to a graveyard, often take to helping out one who comes to find solace or closure. Even so, it's still considered a black market maneuver, and so those who do wind up getting caught are punished. There are still "blackguards" out there who would amass great armies of undead to trample the world underfoot, if only they could.

In this way, I'm adding a layer of strategy to the fighting system. I'm hoping it will be a turn-based system, unless I hear something better, but it gives a sense of, "Oh crap, I really don't want this character to die." It makes the player plan their battles more, and ties them more closely to this party of adventurers. The only healing would come through items or visiting a doctor or apothecary at a town, so no healsticks, and once a character is dead, they are dead for good. I'm taking this cue from Fire Emblem.

There's also another idea I'm kicking around about the death of a party member. It won't be broadcast, but if a player decides to use the powers of the main protagonist to raise one of them, they get a bad ending, separate from the regular bad ending, not because of any morality on their part, but because of public consciousness about necromancers. You've done the right thing in the end, but because you used your powers on your teammates, someone who might not have wanted you to do so, you end up an outcast from society, forced to wander alone. It gives the ending a flavor of Tezuka Osamu, in that the ending can be bittersweet; you've saved the world, and everyone hates you.

EDIT: Sorry for the long post, guys. I just felt like a few more ideas thrown out there were in order.
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugovitz Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 am

Dariel00 wrote:I'll brush up on my Tarantino films this next week then. Cool

Tarantino movie party, anybody?
Pugovitz
Pugovitz

Back to top Go down

Post  Dariel00 Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Pugovitz wrote:
Dariel00 wrote:I'll brush up on my Tarantino films this next week then. Cool

Tarantino movie party, anybody?

Yesplz
Dariel00
Dariel00

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Hellz to the yes. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Inglourious Basterds, at least, if not a little Sukiyaki Western Django to round things out (Takashi Miike film, but good ol' Tarantino had a hand in it).
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system) Empty Don't Forget

Post  Duke of Spoot Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Ong Bak, one of the best modern kung fu movies in existence.
Duke of Spoot
Duke of Spoot

http://travistcurry.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Syrant Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 pm

Duke of Spoot wrote:Ong Bak, one of the best modern kung fu movies in existence.

Tony Jaa has single-handedly kept the kung-fu scene afloat. Him and Jack Black <.<
Syrant
Syrant

Back to top Go down

Post  Dariel00 Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Duke of Spoot wrote:Ong Bak, one of the best modern kung fu movies in existence.

That movie made me seriously consider paying for Muay Thai lessons.
Dariel00
Dariel00

Back to top Go down

RPG Idea (meaningless words to appease the system) Empty Ong Bak is good, but...

Post  Duke of Spoot Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:56 pm

I realized that the movie I SHOULD have posted to this thread was Tom-Yum-Goong, A.K.A. The Protector, which was endorsed by Quentin Tarantino. But The Protector is pretty damn good. 4 minute steady cam shot ftw.
Duke of Spoot
Duke of Spoot

http://travistcurry.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lovebug Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Do you still need help with something? I really like this idea and would like to pitch in however I can.
lovebug
lovebug

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:47 pm

This project is still a long ways off from production, but if you want, we can meet up and I can discuss some of my ideas with you. This is something of a pet project of mine, and I would love to see it actualized.
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down