Game Developers of UNT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Point n' Click Adventure game

+2
Pugovitz
Threepwood42
6 posters

Go down

Point n' Click Adventure game Empty Point n' Click Adventure game

Post  Threepwood42 Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:47 pm

I'd love to work on a point and click adventure game in the style of Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, The Longest Journey and all those other awesome Lucasarts/Telltale games.
Threepwood42
Threepwood42

Back to top Go down

Point n' Click Adventure game Empty Re: Point n' Click Adventure game

Post  Pugovitz Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

I was just talking last night about how nice graphics are nice, but it would be cool to see more hand drawn art in games if possible. Don't see how that could work in a 3D game, but a point and click adventure would be a great place for a more traditional artist to show off some work.
Pugovitz
Pugovitz

Back to top Go down

Post  Threepwood42 Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Yes, most definitely. As cool as Telltale's 3D adventures and some other companies' 3D adventures are good(Grim Fandango is still my favorite adventure game ever), they still can't quite compare to the art of things like Curse of Monkey Island. 2D hand drawn art seems to stand the test of time better. I've actually got a couple different ideas for an adventure game, I'll try to put the ideas in written form and post them later today.
Threepwood42
Threepwood42

Back to top Go down

Post  Break Man Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:46 pm

There's also King's Quest to consider. Just as long as you don't include the damn owl, I'll be fine.
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Post  Dariel00 Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:23 pm

I get excite about point and click adventures. So simple but they can seriously show off some artistic and story telling chops while getting it done fast.
Dariel00
Dariel00

Back to top Go down

Post  Syrant Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:57 pm

One of my recent ideas fit inside this category pretty snugly. I'll drag up a decent proposal sometime in the near future.
Syrant
Syrant

Back to top Go down

Post  Threepwood42 Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:08 pm

Alright, so here are some of the ideas that I haven't really developed yet but have come up with:

Idea 1:
"It's a Ruff Life"
A Putt-Putt style adventure for kids(adults could still enjoy some of the humor.) About a dog whose master is a meanie and throws the ball over the fence and the dog can't get to it. It would be a short but entertaining adventure about the dog trying to figure out how to get over to get the ball.

Idea 2(this one still needs quite a bit of development):
A Saw or Still-Life style game where it is all about the thrill and characters. Creepy but not gross, never goes too far as some people would think Saw does. It has a ground in something that could actually happen so as to make it even creepier. Maybe as a twist, the character(s) you play as are convicts in a prison who are being tortured and killed by guards of the prison. Who is the true evil?

Idea 3:
A children's cartoon character falls out of his cartoon world into reality in a really bad part of town. The character is one of those edutainment ones thats always thinking of things as good and all that, think like Dora being dropped into reality. The character is very ignorant of everything going on as there are gangs and death and sex and destruction that the character just doesn't understand. By the nature of the character he decides its his job to try to fix it. (Probably sings a song about it and then promptly almost gets shot). So through the game you would be trying to figure out different ways to try to change the people and make them "good" or at least the character's perception of his idealized "good world". It would be mostly based off of the culture shock style humor, and well created characters. Every time the cartoon character tried to change people or the world, it wouldn't work because it was such a radical change he was trying to provoke.

Threepwood42
Threepwood42

Back to top Go down

Point n' Click Adventure game Empty Free game

Post  Pugovitz Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:03 am

I'm not sure how long this lasts, but GOG has the classic adventure game Broken Sword for free right now:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/broken_sword_directors_cut
Pugovitz
Pugovitz

Back to top Go down

Post  Threepwood42 Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:47 pm

I got this, it's an absolutely great adventure game, up there with Monkey Island and all those great lucasarts adventures.
Threepwood42
Threepwood42

Back to top Go down

Point n' Click Adventure game Empty Good idea

Post  Jonathan Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:40 am

Threepwood42,

I like the idea that you had about the dog trying to get across a fence. We can create obstacles like roses, and hedges that the dog's owners have planted. The dog knows that he can't just dig through those, or he will get into trouble.Other obstacles can include concrete( a dog can't dig through concrete), or better yet, the dog can just be exploring the backyard. The person playing the game can explore the back yard looking for items like dog bones, and shoes, and other objects that dogs have a tendency to hide and bury.
Jonathan
Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Threepwood42 Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:55 pm

I've been doing some more thought and what I was thinking, since just hedges and fences and whatnot would make the puzzles VERY monotonous, the dog's first goal(Shorter Act I) will be getting across the fence into the next yard. Once he gets there, he finds a HUGE dog house mansion, with a guard dog and everything, it turns out his ball is somewhere in there, so he has to figure out how to get in, first, then once inside there will more characters and more involved puzzles/things to figure out. (Longer Act II). Once he finally gets his ball back, he goes back outside and now he can't figure out how to get back over the fence.(not sure why yet, but there's a good reasoning behind it) SO, he's going to have to figure out how to get back to his own backyard(probably through sneaking through his house somehow.(Shorter Act III). I've started writing the script. I really need some artists and a musician or so for it though.
Threepwood42
Threepwood42

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down