Game Developers of UNT
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Game Soundtracks? Favorite Composers? Favorite Genres?

3 posters

Go down

Favorite Game Soundtracks? Favorite Composers? Favorite Genres? Empty Favorite Game Soundtracks? Favorite Composers? Favorite Genres?

Post  nintendude794 Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Howdy! Welcome to the unofficial thread for discussing popular music--primarily from games--casually. This can be for the musicians to better understand their clients, and vice versa, or simply for conversational communication. -both, really-

Favorite Game Soundtracks/Scores?
Donkey Kong Country, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Halo, Chrono Trigger, Super Meat Boy, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, Mario, Zelda, Metroid,--this list is bound to be edited, so:
Most Any/All; the question needn't be which ones I love, but which ones I don't love

Favorite Composers/Artists?
Normal Music: Phil Collins, Genesis, Rush, Dream Theater, anything "good" Razz
In Gaming: Koji Kondo, Marty O'Donnell, Danny Baranowsky, David Wise, Kenji Yamamoto, Nobuo Uematsu, Jack Wall, everybody else
In Film: James Horner, Michael Giacchino, Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman, John Williams, John Powell, John Debney, John Barry, Mark Mancina, Howard Shore, Henry Mancini, David Newman, Randy Newman, Rolfe Kent, Jon Brion, Trent Reznor, The Dust Brothers, Daft Punk-- too many.
In TV: Michael Giacchino, Marty O'Donnell, everybody else

Favorite Genres?
Nearly everything, as long as it can still accurately be called "music" and not just "noise". Otherwise, not much for Country or Rap, but I'll listen to anything [at least once].

How 'bout y'all? Smile
nintendude794
nintendude794

https://www.youtube.com/nintendude794

Back to top Go down

Favorite Game Soundtracks? Favorite Composers? Favorite Genres? Empty Re: Favorite Game Soundtracks? Favorite Composers? Favorite Genres?

Post  Break Man Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 pm

As for me, most of my iTunes is split up between game soundtracks, rock, J-pop/J-rock, metal, classical, some goth, some electronic, even a little country. I have a wide diversity when it comes to what music I like.

With video games, the net tightens. I am a huge fan of the Mega Man soundtracks (yes, all of them). Castlevania also has some rocking soundtracks, and I've heard a few great metal/rock remixes of several tracks from that series. Metal Gear Solid is also a good series to go to for music.

When it comes to composers, most of the guys I like are in the Japanese business. Of course, huge shout-outs to Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu, and Yoko Shimomura (possibly one of the greatest female composers out there), but I also like such obscure names as Noriyuki Iwadare, Yasunori Mitsuda, Akira Yamaoka (okay, so for Silent Hill fans, that's a no-brainer), and Michiru Yamane. I would be remiss if I forgot Chris Vrenna, who did the soundtracks for both American McGee's Alice and Alice: Madness Returns, both of which are stellar soundtracks, and Jonathan Coulton, who might have done that one song for that one game. Rolling Eyes
Break Man
Break Man

Back to top Go down

Favorite Game Soundtracks? Favorite Composers? Favorite Genres? Empty Re: Favorite Game Soundtracks? Favorite Composers? Favorite Genres?

Post  Pugovitz Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:15 am

My favorite game soundtrack probably has to be Shadow of the Colossus. It's amazing, epic, sweeping score put you perfectly in the scene and dramatically increased the sense of awe the colossi brought. It's also pretty damn epic to listen to on its own.

I also liked the period music from Fallout 3 and Bioshock; I don't normally listen to 30s jazzy music, but it's so infectious in those games.

As for non-game music, I typically listen to rock. From The Beatles to Machine Head. Apocalyptica to Killswitch Engage. I have some oddballs on my iPod too: Ladysmith Black Mambazo, one James Blunt song.
Pugovitz
Pugovitz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down